Indonesian Fried Pastry (Pastel Goreng). Pastel goreng or fried puff pastry is one of the famous Indonesian snack. It's a type of savory and deep fried snack. This fried pastry looks similar to an empanadas, Puerto Rican pasteles, English pasties, or Malaysian curry puff.
Pastel goreng or fried puff pastry is one of the famous Indonesian snack. It's a type of savory and deep fried snack. This fried pastry looks similar to an empanadas, Puerto Rican pasteles, English pasties, or Malaysian curry puff. You can cook Indonesian Fried Pastry (Pastel Goreng) using 22 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indonesian Fried Pastry (Pastel Goreng)
- You need of For the filling:.
- You need of Cooked vermicelli.
- You need of Boiled potatoes (finely chopped).
- Prepare of Chopped carrot (I don’t).
- Prepare of Chopped celery.
- It’s of Chopped onion or shallots.
- It’s of Chopped green onion.
- It’s of Garlic powder.
- Prepare of Pepper.
- Prepare of Chicken powder.
- You need of Sugar.
- Prepare of Nutmeg.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- You need of Sliced of hard boiled egg.
- It’s of For the Pastry:.
- It’s 200 g of flour.
- You need 75 g of butter.
- It’s 50 ml of cold water.
- Prepare 1 of egg white.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare of Oil for frying.
Which makes it different maybe from the filling and taste. Pastel goreng // indonesian fried pastry; Pastel goreng // indonesian fried pastry. Pastel goreng or chicken and vegetables fried puff is one of the very famous Indonesian snacks. It's a savory snack that I love so much since I was a little girl.
Indonesian Fried Pastry (Pastel Goreng) instructions
- For the filling: Heat up the oil and fry the onion until fragrant..
- Add celery, keep sauted until the celery is done..
- Add the potatoes and vermicelli. Then season with, garlic, pepper, nutmeg, chicken powder, sugar, and salt..
- Mixed well and cooked through. Last one sprinkle with green onion. Mix well, taste it, and leave aside to cool.
- For the Pastry: I am using a stand mixer. Mixed the flour, sugar, salt, and butter until butter is no longer bigger than peas..
- Slowly add white egg. Then add water little by little. Until the Pastry smooth and ready to rolls..
- Take it out from the mixer bowl. Knead well and roll up in to a ball shape, cover with a cling wrap and let it rest for at least 1/2 hour..
- Roll the dough into 1/4cm thin and cut into a cylinder. You can rolling use rolling pin or pasta roller machine..
- To finishing: Take one pastry and place a spoonful of filling in the center. Add one sliced of hard boiled egg, fold it, seam and press the end to seal. Use a fork to tighter it or you can twist it. (Mine I use the pastry mold, and I brushed the edges with egg white to seal it).
- Heat the oil. Fry the pastry until golden brown on each side..
- Place fried pastry on a parchment paper to drain the oil..
- Served warm along with spicy peanut dipping sauce or with fresh Thai chili 🌶 Enjoy 😊.
I actually like savory snacks better than sweet snack like cakes or donuts. My favorite Indonesian snacks are risoles, pastel Goreng, kroket (croquettes), and… Great recipe for Pastel Goreng (Indonesian Crispy Fried Pies). In Indonesia pastel refer to pie of crust made of thin pastry filled with meat (usually chicken) mixed with vegetables (chopped carrot and beans), rice vermicelli and sometimes egg, then deep fried in vegetable oil. In Indonesia this fried pastry called "Pastel Goreng". Pastel goreng or fried puff pastry is one of the famous Indonesian snack.