Jack O Lantern Mushroom Identification. The Jack O'Lantern mushroom is sometimes confused with chanterelles–especially when it appears to be growing terrestrially rather than from wood (see the top illustration). The jack o'lantern mushroom is an orange- to yellow gilled mushroom.
Unlike the chanterelle, the jack o'lantern mushroom is very poisonous. On the West Coast, Omphalotus olivascens is our most spectacular bioluminescent mushroom. While eating this mushroom will not kill you, it may cause cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.
They're also said to be bioluminescent — the gills of fresh specimens may sometimes give off a faint.
Watch video Chanterelle & Jack O'Lantern — Mushroom ID.
The jack o'lantern mushroom is an orange to red gill mushroom that is similar in appearance to the chanterelle, and most notable for its bioluminescent properties. Toxic jack o' lantern mushroom identification. Chanterelle & Jack O'Lantern Mushroom Identification.