Jack O Lantern Mushroom Wisconsin. Unlike the chanterelle, the jack o'lantern mushroom is very poisonous. Omphalotus olearius, commonly known as the jack-o'-lantern mushroom, is a poisonous orange gilled mushroom that to an untrained eye appears similar to some chanterelles.
However, chanterelles rarely grow in dense clusters, and feature false gills, while the Jack O'Lantern is usually clustered and. Jack o'lanterns are a good mushroom to know, since they're poisonous and are probably the main imposter for chanterelles that you'll see while hunting across. This is one way to avoid confusing them with chanterelles.
Omphalotus olearius, the jack o'lantern, is a poisonous mushroom often mistaken for the edible chanterelle.
Dead leaves on the grass of a garden during autumn.
The gills emit a green glow due to the enzyme luciferase acting. They cause mild to severe stomach upset. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more.