Malay Chicken Rendang. Chicken Rendang – amazing Malaysian-Indonesian chicken stew with spices and coconut milk. That means it is quicker to prepare and comes with a thick gravy instead of cooking it for a few hours until the rendang become dry. A Malaysian classic dish, Chicken Rendang.
I made this lovely chicken rendang lighter by using less amount of coconut milk and it taste wonderful just the same 🙂. Chicken Rendang, A Versatile Dish and The Perfect Nasi Lemak Accompaniment. Traditional Malaysian Chicken Rendang is also a dish that is extremely versatile. You can have Malay Chicken Rendang using 23 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Malay Chicken Rendang
- Prepare 350 g of chicken meat (deboned, skinless).
- You need 4 cloves (40 g) of shallots.
- Prepare 3 cloves (25 g) of garlic.
- Prepare 8 of dried chilies or 4 live chilies.
- You need 1 inch (20 g) of turmeric root.
- It’s 1 inch (20 g) of galangal.
- It’s 1 inch (20 g) of ginger.
- You need 1 stick (20 g) of lemongrass.
- You need 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of coriander powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of fennel powder.
- You need 1 tsp of fenugreek.
- It’s 2 of star anise.
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 3 of cardamom pods.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of palm sugar.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of coconut paste (kerisik).
- Prepare 2 of turmeric leaves (sliced finely).
- You need 3 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 2 of tamarind slices (asam keping).
- You need 1 cup of thick coconut milk.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of cooking oil.
- It’s of Salt to taste (1 tsp).
You can serve this flavourful rendang dish with steamed white or saffron rice, ketupat (a compressed rice cake) or lemang (glutinous rice cooked in bamboo tubes) and thick slices of bread. The chicken rendang would be succulent and tender. What to serve with chicken rendang. Serve this with Nasi Lemak, the popular Malaysian dish, white rice or noodles.
Malay Chicken Rendang instructions
- Blend shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemongrass, chilis, turmeric root into paste..
- Heat oil in wok and fry cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, cumin, fenugreek, coriander and fennel until fragrant. Then add in the blended paste and cook until color has darken and the oil separates..
- Add chicken and cook well. Next add the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, tamarind slices, turmeric leaves and palm sugar. Mix well and cook until the liquid thickens but not yet dry. Then add coconut paste and cook until desired consistency or until dry. Add salt to taste..
Other dishes which would pair well with rendang are acar awak, fish in asam curry and teh tarik. To many, cooking rendang seems daunting and complicated. Chicken Rendang, or Rendang Ayam is a lip-smacking Indonesian dry curry that's loaded with tender chicken simmered with a spice paste and coconut milk until there's almost no sauce left. At this point, the remaining sauce is caramelize around the chicken along with roasted coconut to create an ultra-flavorful coating around each piece of chicken. Chicken Rendang (Malaysian Chicken Rendang Curry) This is a guest post from one of my former students, Sudhan Balakrishnan, who was keen to cook me a traditional Malay curry before he left NZ.