Chicken Rendang (Dry). Chicken Rendang, or Rendang Ayam is a lip-smacking Indonesian dry curry that's loaded with tender chicken simmered with a spice paste and coconut milk until there's almost no sauce left. At this point, the remaining sauce is caramelize around the chicken along with roasted coconut to create an ultra-flavorful coating around each piece of chicken. Chicken rendang is slow cooked and stewed in the rendang sauce and my chicken rendang recipe yields flavorful and tender chicken, with complex structure of flavors, with the intense aroma of the exotic spices.
One of the typical ingredients in making Malaysian chicken rendang is the inclusion of kerisik (toasted grated coconut), and relatively shorter cooking time than the Indonesian version. Add the Rendang paste, lemongrass and kaffir leaves and stir fry till fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces and combine well with the paste. You can have Chicken Rendang (Dry) using 20 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Rendang (Dry)
- You need of Chicken portion for 2 people.
- It’s 3 of Kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 1/2 can of coconut milk (use the creamer part).
- Prepare of Kerisik (Desiccated Coconut).
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of gula melaka.
- You need of –Chili Paste—.
- Prepare 3 of red chilies (Deseeded).
- It’s 5 of dried chilies (Deseeded).
- It’s 1 tbsp of water.
- You need of ————-.
- You need of –Spice Paste—.
- Prepare 4 of shallots.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic.
- You need 2 inches of Galangal.
- It’s 1 inch of ginger.
- You need 2 stalks of lemongrass (middle part).
- It’s 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of water.
- You need of ————.
This is a simpler wet Chicken Rendang (Rendang Ayam) recipe that can be prepared at home at any occasions. It requires much less time to cook compared to traditional dry Rendang which usually takes hours to completely evaporate all the liquid. Rendang is a popular cuisine in many Southeast Asia countries. Rendang is made from beef (or occasionally chicken, mutton, water buffalo, duck, or vegetables like jackfruit or cassava) slowly cooked in coconut milk and spices for several hours until almost all the liquid is gone, allowing the meat to absorb the spicy condiments.
Chicken Rendang (Dry) instructions
- Season the chicken with salt and leave aside..
- Dry fry the kerisik until golden, pound in mortar and set aside..
- Soak dried chilies in hot water till soft..
- Add dried, red chilies and 1 tbsp water and blend into chili paste. Set aside..
- Add spice ingredients to make spice paste. Set aside..
- In a wok, add oil. Crush the lemongrass head and galangal, add them into the wok..
- Add chili paste. then spice paste. Cook for 5 mins until it dry out a little bit..
- Add chicken..
- Add thick milk..
- Add kaffir leaves, and then gula melaka..
- Add kerisik into the wok..
- Add shredded kaffir leaves and turmeric leaves in..
- Add salt to taste and cook for another 10 mins..
The cooking process changes from boiling to frying as the liquid evaporates. Don't forget to check out my Chicken Rendang Video (Link Below). Do check out the video below or click the link for the detailed recipe. Let's take a look at some of the distinct flavors that go into this Chicken Rendang. We also use dried red chilli paste.