West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry). West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) Recipe by Nashtya Herdika – Cookpad West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) It's the food I grew up with. Rendang is a spicy meat dish which originated from West Sumatra, Indonesia. Mix in paste and coat beef thoroughly.
Dried beef rendang According to Minangkabau (hence the name Minang rendang) tradition, their authentic beef rendang should be dry. Beef rendang is carefully stirred, simmered and cooked for three to four hours until the coconut milk has totally evaporated and the meat has absorbed the flavor of the herbs and spices. Beef Rendang is a flavorful West Sumatran dry curry that's made with beef, that's cooked together with a spice paste and coconut milk until fork-tender. You can cook West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) using 25 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry)
- Prepare of Basic Ingredients.
- Prepare 700 grams of fresh beef shanks/ribs/chuck, cut into large cubes.
- Prepare 800 ml of pure coconut milk (from 3 mature coconuts).
- It’s 1500 ml of young coconut water.
- You need 150 grams of unpeeled baby potatoes, cut slightly.
- Prepare 150 grams of red beans, boiled until half-cooked.
- Prepare 2 tsp of salt.
- You need of Ground-Spice Ingredients.
- You need 100 grams of red chilli peppers (add more if you likel it spicy).
- Prepare 10 clove of medium shallots.
- It’s 10 clove of garlics.
- It’s 3 cm of ginger, peeled.
- It’s 2 cm of turmeric, peeled.
- You need 5 piece of candlenuts.
- Prepare 1/2 of nutmeg.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander seed.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper powder.
- Prepare of Leaf & Spice Ingredients.
- You need 3 of turmeric leaves.
- Prepare 8 of fresh lime leaves.
- Prepare 5 of Indonesian bay-leaves (daun salam).
- It’s 3 piece of thick lemongrasses white part only, smashed.
- Prepare 4 cm of galangal, peeled & slightly smashed.
- It’s 3 piece of small star anise.
- It’s 1 piece of cinnamon stick.
It's then fried together with the remaining braising liquid until the liquid caramelizes around the beef, coating it with an insane amount of flavor. Beef Randang or Rendang is a dry beef curry which is quite spicy but delicious with the most tender beef pieces. Soto is a traditional Sumatran noodle soup very similar to a Laksa with coconut milk and spices. usually served with Ayam (chicken). Rendang is a traditional food originating from West Sumatra and prepared by Minangkabau people.
West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) step by step
- Blend the Ground-Spice Ingredients together until well combined like a smooth paste. Set aside..
- Combine pure coconut milk & young coconut water to the nonstick-large-pan. Boil & stir them well in a medium heat..
- Add the smooth paste of Ground-Spice Ingredients. Stir well to combine and turn into sweet orange coloured liquid..
- Add all the Leaf & Spice Ingredients. Stir constantly until slightly fragrant..
- Add salt..
- Add fresh beef until well combined. Stir well and bring a gentle boil..
- Once the meat is half-cooked, add baby potatoes & red beans..
- Stir it well every 15 minutes or so to prevent sticking, until the mixture become thicker, darker & gloriously fragrant..
- Continue to simmer gently until the liquid has evaporated by about 95%. Reduce the heat to low..
- Test the meat, it should be perfect enogh when it's fork-tender..
- Taste the liquid for salt, add a pinch if you need more. Mix them. Turn down the heat.
- Remove all the Leaf & Spice Ingredients..
- Serves the dish with steamed rice..
Rendang is commonly made with beef (especially tenderloin) with special sauce containing a high amount of coconut milk. In the past, Minangkabau people prepared rendang in such a way that it has long shelf life and could be stored during long journeys. "Intensely flavourful and rich, this traditional Malay beef rendang is a classic favourite during Eid, when Muslims in Singapore break their fast with a feast. Rendang is a dry curry that originated among the Minangkabau people of West Sumatra and later spread throughout Indonesia, Malaysia and into Singapore." Recipes at http://www.ciaprochef.com/WCA/ Rendang, one of Indonesia's most celebrated dishes, is a slow-cooked, spicy meat dish originating from West Sumatra. West Sumatran food is a notable favorite across Southeast Asia, as well as being perceived as the absolute best nourishment in the world, for example, Rendang. The foods are known for numerous uses of coconut milk and meat and have a zesty flavor from the utilization of herbs and flavors.