Beef Rendang. Rendang is a rich and tender coconut beef stew which is explosively flavorful and beef rendang is the most popular rendang. Called "rendang daging" in local language, it's arguably the most famous beef recipe in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. Origins of Rendang A tip on making Beef Rendang is to use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, if you could find one.
Otherwise, the recipe is quite authentic.. Beef Rendang is a Malaysian curry and is considered by many to be the king of all curries! To say it's extravagantly delicious is an understatement. You can cook Beef Rendang using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Rendang
- You need of Rendang paste.
- It’s 2 of red onions.
- Prepare 3 of lemongrass.
- It’s 5 cm of ginger.
- It’s 1 tbsp of chilli paste.
- You need 1 tbsp of garam masala.
- Prepare 2 tsp of tumeric (fresh or ground).
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s of Curry.
- It’s 1 kg of beef (I used beef skirt and asked butcher to cube it).
- Prepare 500 ml of coconut milk.
- It’s 5 of kafir lime leaves.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of desiccated coconut.
There are very few curries in this world with such amazingly complex flavours. Originally from Indonesia though now more well known as a Malaysia curry, the sauce is made with aromatic spices like cinnamon, cardamom and. Rendang is a traditional Indonesian dish, but is also part of Malayasian cuisine, too. Rendang is meat (usually beef) that has been slowly cooked and braised in a spice paste mixture and coconut.
Beef Rendang instructions
- Put all the Rendang paste ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until they make a paste, I added a few tablespoons if water to bring it all together.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan and cook the paste until the oil surfaces.
- Add the beef, stir through for 2 minutes then add the coconut milk and lime leaves.
- Once it looks like it going to start boiling turn it down and cook low until the meat is tender and the sauce thickens – about 35-45 mins.
- Mix in the desiccated coconut and serve with jasmine rice.
Beef rendang is carefully stirred, simmered and cooked for three to four hours until the coconut milk has totally evaporated and the meat has absorbed the flavor of the herbs and spices. Dried rendang can be stored at room temperature for three to four weeks. It can even last up to six months if frozen. Beef Rendang is a flavorful West Sumatran dry curry that's made with beef, that's cooked together with a spice paste and coconut milk until fork-tender. It's then fried together with the remaining braising liquid until the liquid caramelizes around the beef, coating it with an insane amount of flavor.